I’ve been preoccupied with the Vote Against Amendment One in North Carolina this week, but I’m trying to find other articles of interest for this week’s news roundup.
From the young:
- Time Magazine did a piece on “attachment parenting” this week that featured a 26-year-old mother breastfeeding her three-year-old son on the cover which started a myriad of discussions around the Web;
- This NPR piece explored whether it was breastfeeding in general or the fact that the kid has teeth that was so disturbing.
To the old:
- Linda and Gloria Bailey-Davies, 69 and 64, were one of the first gay couples to get married in America after the Massachusetts Supreme Court overturned the state ban in 2004
- “For them, gay marriage is just marriage, and marriage has been its own journey of emotional extremes. One couple is preparing to send an only child to college. Another filed for divorce. Another is retiring and moving out to Cape Cod.”
To a collection of Mother’s Day essays:
- The Feminist Wire includes eight essays on ” motherhood in all its beautiful, messy complexity;”
- “And Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers, and to all people who mother, everywhere.”