This morning was a little rough – got out of the house late, the cat escaped as I was leaving, I left my lunchbox BUT I did remember to attach a stamp to a letter and put it in our mailbox. I then took a picture because it looked so cute with it’s little red flag standing tall, letting the mailman know there’s a present for him. I uploaded it to facebook and promptly had the following conversation with Marianne:
Marianne: Why did you take a pic of the mailbox?
Katie: It’s cute w its little red flag
M: They all have those ya know?
K: I know but its OUR mailbox
M: Ok 😀
Anyway, it got me thinking, just what is it about a mailbox that makes it so special? I realized it wasn’t the mailbox itself, but what it represents.
- Stability. I have a specific place to come home to every night;
- Security. As it were, I was mailing our rent check this morning, so M and I have enough money to cover our house (and other bills) for another month;
- Love. I’ve got a woman who loves me who also lives at the house with the mailbox;
- More Love. Considering all the Christmas cards that came this year, I’ve got an extended circle of folks who love me too;
- Escape. I have a space I can use to both run to and to run away from the world for a bit; and
- Trust. My whiny, needy, ridiculous cat, trusts that I will be there each night to feed, play with and listen to her.
What does your mailbox represent?